How I changed my career path in 8 simple steps!
Updated: May 13, 2022
Deep down I knew I hadn’t found my true passion...
I went through university not really knowing what I wanted to BE. I just had a lot of fun and drank a lot of cider. I’m pretty sure there are many of us out there who had a similar experience?! Don't get me wrong - I have no regrets. I had amazing life experiences, travel and jobs that I enjoyed. What we do throughout our lives shapes us as people.
After an O.E in London (and more fun) I was back in NZ with my partner, about to have my first baby. Fast forward six years and I had baby number three. This was a real catalyst for change.
Maybe it was a lack of sleep, but I felt a real shift in myself and the need for a new direction. I didn’t want to work in IT anymore. I wanted to be totally passionate about what I was doing. It was now or never!
Where to start though? Eeeeeek!!
Looking back, here are some of the steps I took to pave the way for a new career and lease on life!
1. Write down what you enjoyed as a child. What we did without inhibitions can give us a lot of insight. I listed; painting, writing, reading, drawing, ice cream and swimming.
2. What are your interests now? What do you do that gives you JOY? Taking a moment to reflect on what you love doing in your spare(?!) time, will highlight passions you actually have already. I wrote; art galleries, flowers, home décor, family & friends, writing, movies and nature.
3. What skills have you learnt over the years? Each of us comes with a wealth of knowledge and skills that we can put towards a new path. On my list were technology, design, communication and writing.
4. What are you drawn to when you’re online? Cue hours on Pinterest pinning beautiful artwork! This is a great place for inspiration!! LOVE it. When you look at something, how does it make you feel? Would you like to be able to do that too? Could that be YOUR direction? What is it about the product or the process that appeals to you? Picture yourself in that job/role/profession and think about how that would FEEL. Is it a viable option for you?
5. Experiment. I tried all sorts of arty things. Carving, mosaics, mono-printing, watercolours, acrylic. I then came across surface pattern design and was instantly intrigued and mildly obsessed with it LOL.
6. Research. There is SO much information out there for us now. Once you have an idea of what direction you might take, what do you need to do next? Find a reputable blog post or article that talks about your new direction.
7. Training. Do you need to learn a new skill? For me, taking Bonnie Christine’s Surface Pattern Design course on Skillshare was a turning point. There are so many great courses on Skillshare for all kinds of things and the membership fees are very reasonable.
8. Keep going and don’t give up!! Be brave and have self-belief. If you’ve settled on a new direction and you’re uncovering your passion, keep learning and evolving! It might feel overwhelming at times and a bit scary, but trust your instincts and believe in yourself.
You can do it! x